Sunday, September 13, 2015

Year One

dive sail snorkel fish ocean paradise eco ecological
Ecologic Divers Dock,
San Pedro, Belize -
Photo by Robyn Clark
A year in.  Completed the entire season and now a bit of "down time" before the next season...I guess I get some - taking a few days to head to the mainland again to explore another district of Belize. Orange Walk last time, now it's on to Cayo; which is supposed to be fabulous - but that's a post for future Kendall.

Business Perspective - 

In total it was a great season.  Certainly not without its issues and certainly not without a few failures - but those that know me understand that I look at a failure as a moment in time; something you learn from, don't dwell on, and get up from smarter and stronger.  Never really been big on making all my goals public knowledge, while I thought about listing them for my 6 readers I decided against it.

A taste however is always on the menu.  My main goal is going to be cut very close...and I'll happily share about when it's complete; pass or fail...I'll tell you.  I think we're gonna achieve it though.  The major company goal was to make enough money to get two engines to get Blue Attitude back on the dock - and WE DID!!!  Engines acquired (a post in itself...) and being installed now.  Can't wait to have her back on the dock.

Overall I take my time when I'm new to an operation - and we all had a lot to learn this year; the change to a charter model drastically adjusts cash flow management (I'll spare you the details, but to some of my "number geek" friends it is quite exciting).  Cash flow management can be such a challenge as we may have need to save cash to provision charters during slow periods, or pay guys while we all take our 2 weeks in September.  So you're always looking and thinking "we I think I'm gonna make that sale...so maybe I can spend the money today?!"  Never a good idea but you got do what you gotta do.  The other trick is the meaning of tomorrow.  If someone is going to pay me money "tomorrow" that means at some point in the distant future in hopes that I'll forget about it - guess what...I won't forget...just get annoyed and not do business with you again!  However if I owe someone money and they want to collect it "tomorrow" that means 'write me a check cause I'll be on your dock to pick it up before the roster crows and if you aren't there I'm liable to burn your house down.'  So there's that...
Sailing Birthiversary Party for Parker
and "Jake" - a top memory 

Personal Perspective - 

Ah...I live in Belize...life is good!  Living abroad is an amazing experience.  It's really interesting the change in perspective and goals in life.  I say that - but I know plenty of people that live here and are basically the same I'm sure they were in their "previous life", if you aren't fitting in the community here - you're not learning something about life.  

The bars get old.  I do enjoy seeing friends and chatting, so that means bars.  Don't get me wrong - I enjoy my time there...but I also enjoy my money staying in my wallet!  It is nice that it's hard to walk past Lola's without someone yelling "HEY Kendall, come in for a drink!"  Of course that drink usually means I'm not getting home in the near future...which is not a bad thing...most nights.  

Girls and dating - still a non-existent scene.  My brother's at Lola's right now...and I'm supposed to go chat with his girl's friend.  So I will...not like he needs my help - *update ahead - fun girl.  Women are just too much effort. Perhaps I'm still suffering from "post marriage jadedness" or some such thing.   There has been a girl or two of interest; but sorry folks...I don't kiss and tell.  Lets just say nothing lasted.  One I wasn't quick enough with (oh well).  One turned into a "you coming over" every night girl (I don't play that - ain't nobody got time for that shit).  One I still chat with, never went out with...I mean dang...she's young; not illegal young, but girls under 30 are crazy and I'm not keen for short term stupidity with girls that live here.  A couple had true colors that were extremely unappealing.  In the interest of openness and honesty - I do have a good friend to pass some time with.  We know we're not either one's future, but it's fun for now...and we keep each other from making bad decisions with other people.  Something to be said for that.  
Okay - time to head to met the brother and do my brotherly duty.  After last nights "season's over" party with the boys I'm pretty done...but I won't leave a brother hanging.  UPDATE - Thank God I didn't leave a brother hanging; what a night.  That late night led to another super late night. Sure I had to fly around the country, conduct business, and watch a parade on 3.5 hours sleep.  But those be the nights that life is about.  When I'm breathing my last I can pretty much count on the fact that I'll be treasuring the times I didn't reach home till 4am...not the times I was sleeping by 9pm.  




No comments:

Post a Comment